1. Enter the Newport Bermuda Race
2. Decide to enter the Series as an individual yacht or form your three-boat team. Teams may be formed later if you are uncertain.
3. Decide to race the traditional format or to race the Navigators Series courses.
4. Enter the Onion Patch Series
5. Enter the NYYC Annual Regatta presented by Rolex
6. Enter the RBYC Anniversary Regatta
For more information contact:
Plan your 2016 racing schedule leading up to and following the Newport Bermuda Race to include all three events in this triathlon of offshore racing. This is a tough series sailed over a scant three consecutive weeks in June. It is a challenge to yacht, skipper and crew to prevail in these three spectacular events and venues:
- The 162nd New York Yacht Club Annual Regatta in Newport RI
- Newport Bermuda - The 50th Thrash to Bermuda
- The Royal Bermuda Yacht Club Anniversary Regatta in Bermuda
Yachts must enter their appropriate class and division in each individual event and the series. The cost to enter the series is $120 per yacht.
Read more: Onion Patch Offers Traditional or Navigators Series
The inspiration for the Onion Patch Series came from three Bermuda sailors who were in Cowes, England sailing in the Fastnet Race. The Fastnet Race was then sailed as the finale of the Royal Ocean Racing Club’s Admiral’s Cup, a hard fought series that included racing in the tidal currents of the Solent, racing in adjacent bays, racing around the Isle of Wight, racing in the Channel Race and trekking off on the famous Fastnet Race.
Shorty and Jerry Trimingham and Warren Brown hatched the idea of bringing the Admiral’s Cup to North America and calling it the Onion Patch Series. They went home and made their dream reality.
The Onion Patch Series was born in 1962 when the Royal Bermuda Yacht Club board and members backed the concept. They deeded the Onion Patch Trophy for competition by national teams of yachts entered in the Newport Bermuda Race.
Read more: About the Onion Patch Series